Moments ago, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution, the division of The Walt Disney Company (often referred to as simply Disney) that is in charge of, well, making sure that Disney’s films, television shows, and music gets in front of everyone’s eyeballs (or in the case of the music it releases, in your ears) announced that they would be partnering with Asian-American hosted podcast AsianBossGirl to celebrate Raya and the Last Dragon, the first Southeast Asian-inspired film distributed by Walt Disney Studios with a “Weekend of Raya” event starting on Saturday, May 22nd and ending on Sunday, May 23rd. Starting today, you can see Raya and the Last Dragon on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, DVD, and on the digital movie platform of your choice, all with exclusive bonus features. In coordination with Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, DMED’s partnership with AsianBossGirl will serve to honor and highlight Southeastern Asian cultures as well as the many AAPI artists and filmmakers who helped with Raya and the Last Dragon. From the delicious food of Thailand to Indonesian shadow puppetry, be sure to follow AsianBossGirl’s Instagram to follow along with hosts Melody Cheng, Helen Wu, and Janet Wang throughout the weekend and join in the following fun activities:
- A retelling of the Raya and the Last Dragon Little Golden Book as a Southeast Asian shadow puppet performance, as well as Girl Tales, a podcast featuring strong female characters in reimagined versions of fairytales. Watch the shadow play on the Disney Movies YouTube channel and stream the Girl Tales podcast adaptation during the weekend.
- A cooking demonstration hosted by Omson co-founders and sisters and Vanessa and Kim Pham, who will be joined by Raya herself, Kelly Marie Tran. The duo will be cooking will use one of the starters from the Limited-Edition Southeast Asian Omson Sampler. The virtual cooking class will be on Omson’s Instagram on Saturday, May 22nd, at 11 AM Pacific Daylight Time.
- Another cooking demonstration will be hosted, this time by Pepper Teigen and step-by-step, who will be serving up delicious coconut pancakes, a family favorite from her New York Times Bestseller®, The Pepper Thai Cookbook. Pepper’s video will be released on her Instagram the morning of Saturday, May 22nd.
- If you have a Disney Movie Insiders account, you can sign into the Disney Movie Insiders app (available on the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store) and explore the world of Kumandra with the Raya and the Last Dragon AR experience, which can be found under the “Play” tab.
- While you’re on the Disney Movie Insiders app, be sure to check out the activity sheets, mazes, print-outs to create your own Raya and Sisu shadow puppets, as well as downloadable recipe cards.
After you and your family enjoy the “Weekend with Raya” activities, finish the weekend together by watching Raya and the Last Dragon on Digital, 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-Ray, or DVD. The home release features the Disney Animation Studios short directed by Zach Parrish (Big Hero 6) with music from Pinar Toprak (Captain Marvel) Us Again, outtakes, deleted scenes, and tons of bonus features, all in 4K Ultra HD quality (on the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Digital Copies) and Dolby Audio, including Dolby Atmos (on 4K versions of the film).
Until next time!